Historical Overview Section
The Hyksos kingdom was centered in the eastern Nile Delta and Middle Egypt and was limited in size, never extending south into Upper Egypt, which was under the control of Theban-based Old or Middle Kingdom Egyptian rulers. This cosy relationship was good for trade, however in spite of the prosperity that the stable political situation brought, the native Egyptians continued to view the Hyksos as non-Egyptian "invaders". When they were eventually driven out of Egypt, all traces of their occupation were erased.
Later accounts from the time of the Ptolemies record a folklore in which the Hyksos appeared in Egypt as an armed invasion by a horde of foreign barbarians who met little resistance and who subdued the country by military force. The stories claimed that the Hyksos burnt their cities, destroyed temples and led women and children into slavery. This was used by later scholars to hypothesise that new revolutionary methods of warfare were employed by the Hyksos, such as the composite bow, as well as the improved recurve bow and most importantly the horse-drawn war chariot, as well as improved arrowheads, various kinds of swords and daggers, a new type of shield, mailed shirts, and the metal helmet. However nowadays the rather less FoG-tastic concept is of a simple migration, with little or no violence involved, which the Egyptian rulers of 13th Dynasty were too weak to stop as they wer preoccupied by struggling to cope with domestic famine and plague.
Using the army in FoG
- The army list certainly seems to support the peaceful invasion theory, with a pretty crap range of options in the list
- The post 1590 version with maximum light chariotry looks about the best of a bad bunch of choices
Tournament Results with this army
Have a look for them on the Official FoG Database on the FoG site
User-contributed links about this army:
- Who were the Hyksos Find out and book a Nile cruise in one link
- Another theory 1962 academic work
- DBA army put together on a gamer blog
- Hyksos Camp in 15mm
- Old or Middle Kingdom Egyptian Allies - 6 compulsory no-impact-capability swordsmen and 6 more bowmen adds little, 6 HF adds a bit, but that's as good as it gets
Painting and Collecting the Army
- Paint schemes, insignia, shield designs? Put it here.
15mm Manufacturers supplying figures for this army
You can see some of the figures in the Ancients Photo Gallery also on this site
- Essex Miniatures Probably some in their ranges
- Gladiator Miniatures by Fighting 15's (Gladiator Games) Hyksos range, and some of their other biblicals will do too
- Old Glory Generic biblicals
- Magister Militum (includes former Chariot ranges, who have some Hyksos figures)
- Museum Egyptian ranges
- Minifigs UK Egyptians may work
- Irregular Minis as above...
- Vexilia UK (Mirliton & Venexia ranges) Some biblicals
- Lancashire Games Biblicals, fairly generic looking
- Viking Forge
- Brial Hallâ€™s Hall of Ancient Warriors
- Falcon Figures Biblicals and Macedonians, Skythians, Ottomans
- Battle Line (NZ) former TTG Ranges
- MY Miniatures
Sample army lists for this army
Name of Army / Date
- Using asterisks inthe edit mode creates a bulleted list in the actual site
- This is a lot easier to do than easier than setting up tables
- For FoG I suggest listing your army in order or march
- with troop desctiptions on each line, for example
- 4 HF Armoured Average Drilled Impact Foot Swordsmen
- 8 LG Undrilled Unarmoured Poor Bowen
- Dont forget to include your Generals !!!
Include any notes you want here, including comments on how to use - or play against - the army.
Remember to leave a line before you copy the above section as a template for your own list