Historical OverviewBy the 16th century Yemen was part of the Ottoman Empire (first as the Eyalet of Yemen, later as the Vilayet of Yemen), and in some periods Imams exerted control over all Yemen. The port of Aden was occupied by the Portuguese between 1513 and 1538, and again from 1547 to 1548. In between those Portuguese occupations, Aden was ruled by the Ottoman Empire; it ruled Aden again from 1548 to 1645. After Ottoman rule, it was ruled by the Sultanate of Lahej, under suzerainty of the Zaidi Imams of Yemen.
Hejaz was in what is now the west of present-day Saudi Arabia. Defined primarily by its western border on the Red Sea, it extends from Haql on the Gulf of Aqaba to the borders of Asir. Its main city is Jeddah, but it is probably better known for the Islamic holy cities of Mecca and Medina. As the site of Islam's holy places the Hejaz had great significance in the Arab and Islamic historical and political landscape
A decade after Vasco da Gama discovered the seaway to India in 1498, Portuguese explorers arrived in Oman and occupied Muscat for a 140-year period, between 1508 and 1648. In need of an outpost to protect their sea lanes, the Portuguese colonists built up and fortified the city, where remnants of their colonial architectural style still remain.
Rebellious tribes eventually drove out the Portuguese, but were pushed out themselves about a century later, in 1741, by the leader of a Yemeni tribe leading a massive army from various allied tribes, beginning the current line of ruling sultans. Excepting a brief Persian invasion in the late 1740s, Oman has been self-governing ever since.
ManufacturersSee the manufacturers here
The best ones for this army are...
- Link text goes here more words go here
- Put stuff here
ListsName and Date
800AP Settled Arab States Yemeni army from Kev Johnson
- 1 Bedouin LH Unarmoured Average Lt Lance Sword 4
- 2 Tribal Skirmishers LF Unarmoured Average Bow 6
- 3 Tribal Skirmishers LF Unarmoured Average Bow 6
- 4 Tribal Infantry Warriors Unarmoured Average Lt Spear Sword 8
- 5 Bedouin LH Unarmoured Average Lt Lance Sword 4
- 6 Household Cavalry Cavalry Armoured Superior Lt Lance Sword 4
- 7 Household Cavalry Cavalry Armoured Superior Lt Lance Sword 4
- 8 Household Cavalry Cavalry Armoured Superior Lt Lance Sword 4
- 9 Amir's Mamluks (A) Cavalry Armoured Superior Bow Sword 4
- 10 Amir's Mamluks (A) Cavalry Armoured Superior Bow Sword 4
- 11 Bedouin (A) LH Unarmoured Average Lt Lance Sword 4
- 12 Artillery Artillery Average Hvy Art 2
- 13 Artillery Artillery Average Hvy Art 2
- 14 Household Cavalry Cavalry Armoured Superior Lt Lance Sword 4